Pages

About Me

My photo
Gently raising 3 girls to be joyful spirits in this challenging world.

Wednesday 17 November 2010

Inspiration from the telly!



Recently we have been watching Downton Abbey. Now it's not often that we all sit down to watch something and are ALL hooked but I have to say that we loved this series. It is shot beautifully, the attention to detail is amazing and the acting superb.

It has also inspired our learning and have been researching the Edwardians. We trotted off to the library yesterday in search of books but sadly the Edwardians seem to fall foul to that National Curriculum and there seems to be hardly anything available to children about this era :o( We found a few books on the First World War and one on Edwardian dress but it seems very difficult to find more.

Looking into the era has inspired us to establish afternoon tea though and we've dug out my old tea set that belonged to my Great Aunt Lily. Yesterday we had sponge cake and fruity scones and today I think cheesey scone might be the order of the day. It's great when you have that afternoon dip and stop the children asking for snacks before dinner.


2 comments:

  1. There is a series on at the moment called something like edwardian farm....recreating a farm that has been derelict back to how it was in the edwardian era. There is also a programme on about the high street through the ages and the last episode was the edwardian high street...with a cake shop :-)
    History was never my favourite subject at school and I find it hard to be enthusiastic with Carys who really loves the subject....tv programmes that recreate eras do seem to be something we can enjoy together though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flower thank you! My Mum told me today about the Edwardian Farm series today so I need to try and find it on iplayer or equivalent.

    I love history and am loving it more the older I get. We're lucky enough to live 5 mins away from Jane Austen's house and it gives me chills to walk her floorboards and run my hand along her banisters.

    ReplyDelete